Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Oven woes


This is my lovely kitchen complete with harvest gold stove/oven and orange Formica countertop, perhaps one of the most beautiful color combinations one has ever seen.

Last week the oven broke. I was so looking forward to eating a cheese crisp when unexpectedly the broil setting stopped working. I turned the oven to bake so that I could eat something, but that just made my cheese crisp have a dry, cracker-like tortilla with barely melted cheese on top. Yuck!

This was the perfect opportunity to get a new stove and get rid of the hideous harvest gold... but instead we tried to fix it.


It was obvious that it was only the top element that was not working, so we unscrewed it and pulled it away from the back of the oven. Sure enough, one of the wires had broken/corroded and was no longer connected to the element.


The wire had pulled back a bit from the opening, so we had to reach in there with some pliers to grab it and pull it back out. Fortunately, we were able to do that and reconnect it to the element.

Sigh. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer before getting a new oven.

4 comments:

  1. Well, you missed a golden opportunity to get rid of that old gold stove. I guess that color combination will continue to say "Aunt Dorothy's house" for a while to come. Makes me want come be there so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how long have you had that stove?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it's the stove that was put in when the house was built in the mid 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When are we going to do the entire kitchen remodel that got delayed? I suggest now as it would provide me lots of diversion.

    ReplyDelete