Thursday, October 1, 2009

Chani update


Atypical Addison's Disease -- adrenal insufficiency. That's what Chani has. Have you ever heard of such a thing in a dog??

To update the story on our poor little doggie, she ended up not eating for 10 days. So we took her back to the vet who took some x-rays and did some more blood tests. They also gave her a steroid injection. That perked her right up, and she started eating again. This made them think that perhaps she had an adrenal gland problem, so we were to take Chani back to the vet and have a specific test for this. Finally, they let us give Chani a tranquilizer. Apparently, the tranquilizers would not affect this test... or maybe they got tired of muzzling her. In any case, we gave her a tranquilizer before taking her in on Tuesday.

The above picture is what she looked like that day. It's a pretty horrid sight, but it didn't seem to bother her much. You can see what they call the "third eyelid" and of course the droopy lids, but really she was okay. She was walking around but not very coordinated, slipping on the tile floor a little. The funniest thing, though, was that she became incontinent of urine. At first I didn't notice, but after she laid down for a while and then got up, I noticed that there was a puddle and her hind end was all wet. So I went to clean her up, and while I was washing her off I noticed that a drop of pee would form and then drop off and immediately another drop of pee would begin to form and then drop off -- like a leaky faucet. And then I accidentally pressed too hard somewhere (not sure where) and this stream of pee came shooting out. I have never seen anything like that in my whole life. Needless to say, she was sleeping on a blanket with plastic underneath for the rest of the night. Thankfully, all was back to normal the next day.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm glad they finally figured out what is wrong with her! Is she gonna be ok? That picture is crazy! I never knew dogs had 3rd eyelids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I forgot to finish the story. She is on prednisone every day for now and seems to be doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like she just had some of Paul's wheat grass.

    ReplyDelete