Monday, August 31, 2009

Canning 101

Okay, so I copied that title from The Pioneer Woman. She had a lovely description of canning strawberry jam. I, too, have been busy canning. Last week, we canned the rest of the tomatoes. Of course, I didn't bother taking pictures. It was all I could do to manage the canning. If you want to see lovely pictures of canning, click on the title "Canning 101," but instead of strawberries and sugar imagine tomatoes and lemon juice.


The garden has pretty much come to an end for the year, so we let the chickens go into the garden to play and eat whatever they wanted, bugs mostly.


Here's an example of one of the bugs that the chickens enjoyed. We pulled this huge caterpillar off one of the tomato plants. The chickens loved it!



I'm glad we had the garden and have enjoyed the delicious vegetables, but I'm ready for a break.

1 comment:

  1. I come back to three lovely posts! So much happening while I have been away. I want some homemade salsa from all those canned tomatoes. And I want to be one of those happy chickens!

    ReplyDelete