Monday, April 13, 2015

Pot Roast Dinner

I've been experimenting with canning different foods and making meals with these canned foods. Last week I canned potatoes and carrots. These were not grown in my garden; I just bought them from the store.


Today, I tried to make a meal with the canned potatoes and carrots and a previously canned roast. It was very tasty and super easy to throw together. The canned roast had broth so I was able to make gravy. Adding some green beans and a salad would have made this perfect.



I learned some valuable lessons from this experiment. The potatoes need to be parboiled a couple more minutes before canning, and I need to cut the carrots into much larger pieces. 

All in all, though, I can foresee using this on busy days when I don't have time to cook. 

4 comments:

  1. That looks so good! This is so incredibly helpful! I am truly grateful that you do all the experimentation so I can just swoop in and do my canning ( that is, you do my canning 😳) using all your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That looks really great actually! Why do the carrots need to be bigger?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They need to be bigger during the canning process because they get overcooked.

    ReplyDelete